I’ve been putting together material and equipment to start my own home yeast culture lab. I plan to start experimenting with yeasts, wild and commercial in brewing.
One huge advantage to this is some serious cost savings. I can propagate and store the commercial yeasts I buy to help reduce the cost of brewing. The other reason is because I want to experiment with the local wild yeasts to see if I can make a brewed drink that is distinct to my local area.
Here’s my equipment so:
- DIY Alcohol burner
- DIY Inoculation Loop
- Agar-Agar powder for culture medium
- 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask
- Stir plate (from http://stirstarters.com)
- Digital Scale
- Vials w/ caps for yeast slants
- Petri dishes for growing cultures.
- additional Erlenmeyer flasks from 50 ml to 1000 ml
The equipment I still need to obtain:
- Pressure Cooker/Canner for use as an Autoclave
Here’s a few pics of what I have so far